Galerie Thomas Schulte
Angela de la Cruz
Since it was established in 1991, Galerie Thomas Schulte’s ongoing focus has been placed on nurturing, supporting, and sustaining outstanding and inspiring artistic positions in international conceptual art spanning from the 1960’s to the present.
Since 2006 Galerie Thomas Schulte has been seated in the landmark nineteenth-century Tuteur House in Berlin-Mitte. The prominent tripartite display window of the gallery’s nine-meter-high Corner Space was added to the building in 1913 by Hermann Muthesius, a famous early pioneer of German architectural modernism and founder of the association Deutscher Werkbund.
Galerie Thomas Schulte—known as Galerie Franck + Schulte until 2000—was one of the ﬁrst galleries to open in Berlin after Germany’s reuniﬁcation. It quickly became known for its select exhibition program, which not only offered innovative and thought-provoking works by represented artists, but also created a platform for pioneering international artists in Berlin’s re-emerging art scene.
Over the years, Galerie Thomas Schulte has represented world-renowned artists including Richard Artschwager, Alice Aycock, Richard Deacon, Rebecca Horn, Sol LeWitt, Gordon Matta-Clark, Robert Mapplethorpe, Allan McCollum, and Pat Steir. In addition, it exhibited many other important artists including Bas Jan Ader, Alighiero e Boetti, Daniel Buren, Chuck Close, Helmut Federle, Michael Heizer, Magdalena Jetelová, Joseph Kosuth, Jannis Kounellis, Mark Lombardi, Gerhard Richter, Pipilotti Rist, Robert Smithson, and Keith Sonnier.